Wednesday 27 June 2012

It's All About Ruby

I thought for my first post I'd do some beauty tag questions. I've mixed up a few regular tags and added/ changed some questions to make it more relevant to my routine.

Skin Care

What is your favourite skin care range?

My favourite skin care brand is Origins. I've been using this for over 10 years and have remained pretty much loyal to it. I try and switch up a few products to stop my skin getting used to things, but I always have Origins products somewhere in my routine. Recently I've been trying to be a bit more adventurous and try new products but I'm sure I will always use Origins. I have an oily skin type and have found there products to work best at reducing oil and do not clog my pores.

What was the first skin care range you tried?

The first skin care products (apart from face wash) I tried was actually Origins and Darphin. I can't remember if I liked Darphin or not but my love of Origins products has stuck.

Would you ever buy drug store skin care brands?

I don't like to cheap out on my skin care and am willing to spend the money if I need to, but I don't think just because something is expensive it's necessarily better. I do tend to go for higher end products but do use some drugstore brands. My favourite drugstore for skin care is the USA Neutrogena range. This is totally different from the one available in the UK, which I would not rate at all. I love the Pore and Rapid Clear range (which i usually get from CVS/ Walgreens) which I think is amazing at clearing my skin, alot etter than some expensive products. These aren't for everyone though, they are very drying and I would not recommend them unless you have oily/ spot prone skin. Recently I've also been trying out the Boots Botanics range which I've been loving. I also love alot of Boots No7 Skin Care products. The only product I probably won't buy from a drugstore brand again is facewash. I always find they run out really quickly and aren't better value for money. My Origins cleanser is about twice the price of a typical drugstore brand but lasts four times longer and does a better job.

What do you look for in a skin care product?

I generally use oil/ pore refining products as I have oily spot prone skin. In moisturisers I look for something light enough for my skin type but that also leaves my skin feeling soft. I always use an SPF moisturizer in the day time and a slighter thicker one at night. I've been using a lot more organic products on my skin and have noticed a real difference. My skin care is were I'm prepared to splurge. You only get one skin so you should look after it and be willing to spend the money on it.

How do you cleanse your face & what is your favourite cleanser?

- I use either Origins Checks & Blances face wash or Origins Never A Dull Moment face wash. I apply this to a facial brush to make sure my skin is completely cleansed. I then use a hot cloth cleanser to double cleanse. My favourites are Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser or Soap & Glory The Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleansing Cream. For a deep clean I will also use Lush's Dark Angels which is partly exfoliating. I use this once a week or if I've had make up on all day/ been traveling.


Do you exfoliate your face?

- I use Origins Modern Friction once a week for a deep clean. This is quite exxpensive ut it lasts a long time. It really helps keep pores clean and leaves my face looking more radiant. Every other day I exfoliate with Lush's Ocean Salt Scrub which makes my skin feel very clean and fresh.

How do you remove your makeup?

The first thing I do when I get home is take off my makeup. I have a few steps for doing this as it is really important to me to remove all traces of makeup. Most people think they break out from using products but it is more likely they have not removed it properly.
First I use facial wipes to get the bulk of the makeup off, my favourite is Clean & Clear wipes as they are very good at removing makeup ( I usually use 2 to try and get most of it off). I then use an actual makeup remover; my current one is the Shu Uemura Fresh Cleansing Oil. This is really good at removing tough eye makeup anddissolves it easily. The only downfall is it is expensive and it goes down pretty quickly. Also there is no travel size which makes it awkward to take places. I then use a hot cloth cleanser, preferably the No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser. By this point my makeup is off but I like to be sure my skin is totally clean so I then follow with a face wash cleanser.

Do you use face masks?

I love using face masks and do this every week. Once a week I will use a clay mask and a moisture mask (usually one from Origins). Through the week depending on my skin care needs I will use another face mask, usually one from Lush. My favourite Lush masks are the fresh Catastrophe Cosmetic mask; which relives my skin when it is irritated/ breaking out or the Mask of Magnaminty; which I like to use when I have tired skin or after travelling as it's very refrshing. I always like to try new face masks and am always on the look out for another to add to my collection.

What is the cheapest/ most expensive skin care product you use?

I think the cheapest thing I'm using at the moment is the Boots Botanics Toner, which I really like. The most expensive in terms of size is the Liz Earle Face Oil which is teeny tiny for the price.

Makeup

Do you own alot of makeup?

I have a relatively small makeup collection. I don't actually wear make up very often so it would be wasteful of me to buy lots of products. Saying that I am trying to expand my makeup collection to try new and discover new things. I have more lip products than anything else as I find it easy to switch these up and they keep longer than other products. I would never have lots of opened foundations or mascaras as they have to be changed too regularly and I like to get the most out of a product before I retire it.

How do you store your makeup?

I want to do a full post on this but I'll give a quick summary. I have a small vanity area where I keep my evryday/ most used products. This is on display so I keep my smaller non bulky products on here so it doesn't look too cluttered. I mostly like to use vintage vanity sets to store my makeup.
I keep my liquid face products on a glass tray so I can reach for them quickly. My favourite lipsticks are stored in a vintage lipstick holder, and all other lipsticks/ glosses are stored in a large tea cup I got from Urban Outfitters. I use a vintage head vase to store my mascara, pencils, concealers etc. My brushes that I use reularly are stored in a brush holder. Others are kept in a box so they don't get dirty/ dusty. I have a selction of small jars that store lip balms and eyebrow kits and anything else small. Larger bulky products like setting powders and spare foundations are kept in a vintage train case just to keep them tidy. If I have any new products that are unopened or makeup samples I keep then in smaller boxes(old glossy boxes are great for this) just to keep them tidy and to make sure they don't get mixed up with anything already opened.

What product makes you feel a million dollars?

Red lipstick always makes me feel glamorous and more dressed up. I have a few favourite reds.

Would you ever go out without makeup?

I don't actually like the feeling of wearing makeup but always feel more confident with it on, as I'm sure everybody does. I don't wear make up on a daily basis, usually I only wear it on nights out or if I'm meeting someone in the day or doing something were I want to look nice. I would never put on makeup just to go to the shops or run errands and think it's crazy when people wear it around there own house. I would also never wear it when travelling as I like to keep my skin cleansed on a long ourney. I'm a firm believer that you should try and give your skin a break and let it breath... So don't wear makeup if you don't have to!

What is your minimal make up look?

If I'm in a rush or just want a quick daytime look I only wear a small amount of pencil eyeliner on my lower lash and some lip/ cheek stain. This is really quick and easy to do and can be done anywhere if needed to. It's also really quick and easy to remove.

What was the first makeup brand you tried?

The first makeup range I used was Benefit. I still use a few Benefit products and it's one of my favourite brands but I don't think I still use any of the first products I tried.

What is your favourite Makeup brand?

I'm not sure I have one favourite but I suppose Mac and Benefit are the two I most regularly use. My favourite drugstore brands are L'Oreal and Revlon. I've recently been trying out ELF which I've been very impressed with especially for the price.

Favourite Place To Buy Makeup?

My favourite store for makeup is Sephora. I love the selection of products, the staff are always friendly and helpful and they are always willing to give samples. I like the makeup sections of department stores but nearly always recieve very poor customer service and find that most staff are rude and unhelpful. I also love the makeup section in Target which has a good range of products for low prices.


What is your signature makeup look?

Red lipstick or Cat flick eyeliner are my two signature looks.


What do you prefer lipgloss or lipstick?

I do like lipgloss but generally prefer lipstick as it's less fuss. For daytime though I prefer lipstain as I don't have to worry about it smudging or reaplying all day.

Foundation or Conceler?

I prefer concealor over foundation. I actaully never wore foundation until I was 21 and don't like the feeling of it on my skin. Using only concealor allows me to look more fresh faced and is easier to use just were you need it. It also acts as a highlighter.

What are your favourite makeup brushes?

I recently got rid of all my makeup brushes and bought new ones so I don't have any firm favourites yet and will do a proper post on this when I've had a chance to try a few out. The brands I've been buying have been Mac, Real Techniques and Sigma. I also bought my first ELF studio line brush and wash very impressed so will be getting more of these. All of the brushes I've been trying out have been good so far.

How do you clean/ store makeup brushes?

I'll do a full post on brush cleaning but as a quick summary I use an antibacterial spray before using them to refresh them. After use I give them a quick cleanse with brush cleaning spray and then when I get home I clean them with brush shampoo. It's very important to me to keep my bri=ushes clean and well looked after. When drying them I reshape the bristles then lye them down on a flannel in a small basket so they dry properly in the right shape. I store in use brushes in a brudh holder, spares in a small box and I have a brush case for when I travel.


Hair & Body

What hair type do you have?

My hair is naturally curly and is tends to be very soft. Because it is curly it does become easilly frizzy. I wouldn't say it was greasy or dry particularly. My hair is also coloured.

What is your hair care routine?

I always try to look after my hair. I wash and conditioner it daily and usually let it air dry. I try to avoid using heat appliances on it if I don't need to. I double wash my hair to make it extra clean, then I condition it. I use a detangling spray and tangle teezer to comb it out when wet. If I blowdry it I will use hair oil or volume spray. Before straightning I use a smoothing cream with heat protection then finish with hairspray/ shine spray. Once a month I will also use a hair mask or triple action conditioner just to replenish it.

What are your favourite hair care products?

My favourite shampoo and conditioner are Lush's Big Hair Salt Shampoo and Retread Triple Action Conditioner. These aren't the cheapest products to use though so I don't use them on a daily basis. For daily use I use Burt's Bees Shampoo & Conditioner (pomegranite or Seaweed range). BedHead is generally my favourite styling product line but Marocanoil Hair Oil has become my new favourite styling product to use.


What are your favourite Bath/ Shower products.

My two main favourite lines are Soap & Glory and The Body Shop. There are lots of differnt products from both that I love. I also love the Johnson's Dreamy Skin range. Origins Ginger range is amazing but expensive.

Other

What product do you love but is hard to get?

The Bath & Body Works Coconut & Lime Verbena range is amazing but impossible to get hold of. I love the shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. It smells amazing and is so conditioning. This has been discontinued in stores but is still exclusively available to some hotels. I have a stash of stolen hotel minis of this range in my bathroom and will be so upset when they're all gone. I've been looking for an alternative but haven't found one yet.

What are your favourite scents for products?

My favourite scent for skincare is peppermint or citrus. For haircare and body it is coconut, rose or ginger.

What do you feel naked without?

Perfume is the one product I can't do without. I have more perfume than any product and will go back home if I don't have some on. I love to wear so much other people can smell it when you walked past. I'm not sure how many I have at the moment but I have about 10 that are in rotation at the moment. I have lots of favourites but I think the one I love the most is McQueen by Alexander Mcqueen. I think the Kat Von D Poetica perfume that I also really love (available at Sephora) is really similar to this and is my favourite handbag perfume.

What's the worst product you ever tried?

I'm sure ther has been loads but the one that I have used most recently is The Sanctuary Hot Cloth Cleanser. It's awful; it smells bad, it's not cheap and it doesn't even leave your skin feeling very clean. I've been trying to use this up to get rid of it. I usually love The Sanctuary products but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Other things I can remember being annoyed at spending money on are Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream, which doesn't have anything wrong with it, it's just that it seems to me to be overpriced vaseline. Also the YSL Touche Eclat foundation. I love the principle of this foundation, being able to squeeze the product onto the attached brush for quick coverage. But I found the consistebcy to be really runny and the shades too dark for my skin tone. I'm sure these products are ok for some people they just wern't right for me. There are also lots of other products from these 3 lines that I love so it's not that the brands aren't very good.

What's the best product you've ever tried?

The best product I have ever tried is the Origins Spot Remover. I've used this for over 10 years and found it to be the only spt cream that works. I did prefer the old formula to the new one but it is still really good. I always have a tube of this on standby.

What is your beauty secret?

The best beauty secret I have is to get enough rest and to drink enough water. It's not original but it works. your skin will always look better if you feel better. Other than that I believe in double cleansing both for my face and hair to make sure they're are fully cleansed.






No comments: